My 75mm lens never even made it into my bag for Connemara, even though last year it had been one of my most used lenses. I wanted to take my 90mm and I didn’t think I had room for both. It was OK. And although my 90mm is what I typically use for flower photos, now I wanted to have a go with the 75. Things were going OK until I realized it didn’t focus all that close, which meant the idea of two flowers with the front one more in focus than the back one wasn’t possible (from the distance that made the composition); so I thought I’d just try it the other way round. Oh well. MY friend Paul provided this excellent commentary
So one or another these relationships need to be reversed so that the “subject” is never competing for attention but rather is supported by the other elements within the frame. For example in this picture, a longer lens would compress the scene and render the far flower larger.
No need to say anything more than that. The next photo I took after my experiment, still with the 75mm, was this one of a daylily nearby, and hopefully it works a lot better.